[LRFlex] Re: Old Cheap Wides

  • From: "Aram Langhans" <leica_r8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 12:52:12 -0800

I may be able to answer that in a few days. I just sent off for an adaptor. I have the 24 Elmarit, which I do like, and I'll borrow the school's Digital Rebel and try a few shots with the 24mm when I get the adaptor.

So, I am half way there......

Aram

From: "Bille Xavier F." <hot_billexf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [LRFlex] Re: Old Cheap Wides
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 09:29:54 +0100

Dear Bob.

I'll put forward my bad and uncourteous education of Frenchman but the Elmarit 24mm IS a very good lens.

Like you, I wonder what it renders with Digital....

One day My Prince will come....
---------------------------------
Xavier F. BILLE
Maisons-Alfort - France.

From: Bob Palmieri <rpalmier@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 13:27:16 -0600

Art -

I have a 24mm Vivitar (which the unfailingly generous Doug Herr passed along for a song) which I like quite a bit. I should qualify this by saying that I only use it stopped down with high speed film but I find it to be relatively flare free with very little distortion (which as you may remember from one of our previous exchanges can be kindof a "thing" with me). Definition is surprisingly good all the way out, but the color balance isn't quite what I'm accustomed to with R glass.

Unfortunately I don't have a DSLR to test its digital mettle on.

Incidently, I can still lay claim to the better part of a year's worth of claiming to be underqualified for your stated demographic...

I'll post some snaps from this lens later in the week.

Bob Palmieri

On Feb 13, 2005, at 11:50 AM, NATSTEK@xxxxxxx wrote:

Guy's,

Here is a challenge for those of us "Moldy Oldies", (Over 50'ers).

Does anyone have access to some of the older wide angle, (ie., 24mm, 28mm) and tele, (135mm & up), such as the T-4 & TX mount Vivitars, Soligors & Ansanuma (Tamron) lenses from the late 60's,70's & early 80's? These mounts pre-dated the Tamron adaptall & adaptall2 lenses, but I found that they were quite good for their time.

They may do a fair-to-good job on digital bodies.

Any thoughts on this? The lenses are extremely cheap and still relatively easy to find.

Art Tafil

   www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm