[LRflex] Re: Off-topic question...

  • From: <philippe.amard@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 10:00:28 +0200 (CEST)

Hi David I don't know about Sigma filters. Yet even a bad filter is always
better than a chip so I would definitely buy one of those and try if the
conditions in which you intend to use the gear are hard.
In any case filters on the market that are manufactured today by renowned
makers such as Sigma must of needs be way better than any produced 50 years ago
even those sold then by Leica ... Opinion of course. How much is a front
element? Go ahead !

Amitiés
Philippe

Message du 30/05/09 05:42
De : "David Young"
A : LeicaReflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Copie à :
Objet : [LRflex] Off-topic question...
In past, I've always used top quality filters (B&W, Heliopan, etc.) but with a
combination of larger sizes (read exponentially higher prices) for my Oly
lenses - and less income due to the current financial meltdown, I've been
looking at lower priced alternatives.

A friend put me on to SIGMA DG filters...

The package says "Ultra-low reflection Multi-Coating", but learning any more
about them seems difficult, even on the internet.

Certainly, to look at them, the transparency (anti-reflection layer) is
phenomenal... visually superior to the B&W's I have ... if that means anything.
Our local shop has them at a stunning price and I am sorely tempted. After all,
if they can make the 28-70mm f/3.5-4.5 Vario Elmar, for Leica, how far wrong
can they go with a filter?

Has anyone here experience with these puppies?

---
David Young
Logan Lake, BC

Wildlife Photos: www.furnfeather.net