[LRflex] Off and Running

  • From: Alan Siegle <alansiegle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 14:35:34 -0700 (PDT)

I just received my R9 and DM-R last night; UPS overnight service left it on my
porch.

  I opened the shipping box and found two plain brown wrapper boxes. I opened
them to find two shining Leica boxes. Leica thinks enough of its packaging to
protect the Leica boxes with an outer skin. The equipment is packaged with a
lot of padding and protection. None of my other cameras or computer equipment
was packaged with so much care or pride.

  So last night I charged the battery, I only have one, my second battery is on
backorder, Leica says it will be two weeks before they get more. It took two
hours for the new battery to charge. During that time I read part of the
manuals, as I'm new to Leica camera bodies etc. My first step was to replace
the focusing screen in the R9 with the one provided with the DM-R. The new
focusing screen has a boarder to show the new smaller image area. With that
completed, next task was to remove the battery cover and the film back on the
R9. I attached the digital back then the power unit, and when the battery is
fully charged I can take my first picture.

  The sun was setting when the battery finished charging, so I attached a 28mm
lens and took pictures until I filled the 512 MB SD card. These pictures were
only to see if everything is working, not to compete with Doug's images. This
weekend I was supposed to go to the Skagit Valley in Washington (from the Bay
Area in California) for the Tulip Festival, but due to all the rain here and
there I'm heading for another valley, Death Valley.

  Since I only have one battery, I may be using my Canon 1D Mark II (with my
Leica lenses) more than I wanted too. As I mentioned in a previous email, I
didn't buy the DM-R earlier because of my concern for the short battery life. I
also mentioned the Digital Camera Battery that several of my friends use with
Canon cameras, flashes, and laptops etc. Now that I have the DM-R, I see it is
very easy for them to make the cable for the DM-R, as there is an 8-pin socket
on the side of the unit so it can be powered by using accessory # 14 452. This
allows the camera to be used in a studio for many hours, the 14 452 uses 120
volts then converts the AC to DC to power the DM-R.

  The weather in Death Valley should be cloudy with temperatures in the 80?s F.
I?ll post some pictures when I return.

Alan
alansiegle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

View my photographs by visiting my Homepage at-
http://homepage.mac.com/alansiegle