[LRflex] Re: Odd Lens Adapter Query - now cheap old lenses - Rolleiflex

  • From: Chris L <speleo_karst@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 01:16:03 -0800 (PST)

Hi Doug,

The 25mm apparently got changed at some point (I once read 1984?), which
evidently greatly improved it.
I went through two original "Made in Germany" 25s, which I found very soft and
disappointing, before getting a later "Made by Rollei" 25, which finally gave
results worthy of Zeiss.

Another good lens for the Rolleiflex is the 18mm. While not as sharp as the
Leica 19mm II in the corners (and lacking the Leica's wonderful lens shade), I
prefer its overall look.
The 35mm f/1.4 is a huge and lovely lens with a wonderful look to its images,
though the last 35mm Summicron comes close.
the 35mm & 85mm f/2.8 are tiny and sharp lenses, great for travelling (the
Leica equivalents look like giants compared to them).

Sadly, 2 out of 2 of my Zeiss 200s developed apparently unrepairable diaphragm
problems.

The Rollei kit is still what I choose when I need to travel light...

Chris