[LRflex] Re: Observations on digital shooting

  • From: "Aram Langhans" <leica_r8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 16:10:17 -0700

I would disagree with your last statement that going to manual is "stripping
the camera of it's 'magical powers" and bringing it back to" your level.  I
would say it is actually bringing it UP to your level, as the magical powers
that both you and I wish to ignore are there mostly because the people using
them do not know what they are doing.  They are slaves to their cameras
rather than masters of the photographic tool.  In certain situations, the
magical powers are indeed magical, but in most, they are just the ordinary
things that skilled photographers have been doing for years.  So, put
yourself up on a pedestal as the master rather than in hole as the slave.

If course, none of this means much if you do not have the talent/skills of
actually composing and taking interesting photos.  There is no "auto master
photographer" setting.  If you do not have the skills to compose and capture
the instant in time, all a modern camera will give you is a dependable way
to get a well exposed, in-focus (on something, at least) photograph.  And it
will do that quite well, in spite of the handler.  My biggest struggle with
a modern camera, when I am using a non-Leica lens, it to get the darn thing
to focus on what I want it to.  Most of the time, if I am using an AF lens,
it is in a situation where I need to be faster than my eye in the
viewfinders available to me on my DSLR.  And the focus point is not that
critical because either I am using a small aperture or because  most
everything is in the same plane anyway.  But if I want to use a large
aperture and selectively focus on a particular point that is not in the
center, the struggle begins.  The camera wants to focus on the brightest
closest spot that lines up with a sensor.  I usually want something
different.  Oh, to have good eyes and a good viewfinder.   R10 anyone????

Aram