[LRflex] Re: Observations on digital shooting

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 15:45:17 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Robert,
   first let me give a full throated "What HE Said!" to Dr. Ted's responses to
your 'Observations' Posting to the group. There are many truths inside of his
words and while I would have articulated them a bit differently because of
differing life paths, the heart of my comments would have echoed the same
approaches to the matter he took.
   Secondly, may I ask which dSLR  did you buy and which Film SLRs are you
benchmarking it against? Does it have a 'tunnel like' mirror prism versus a
real
100% coverage glass prism? Is it flimsy and plastic versus metallic sturdiness?
Does your AF lens or lenses have 'after thought' manual focus rings versus
lenses designed for the act of manually focusing them? Is the AF system you're
dealing with from the top tier with 20-30-40 focus points or a pokey entry
level
system with a few points that fade to 'hunt and peck' when the light isn't
shining bright? Are you trying to Manual Focus on an SLR mirror who's main
'design feature' is uber brightness to cope with f5.6 consumer zooms or a
'real'
focusing screen designed for manual focus to not be a frustrating nightmare? Is
your dslr one of those new Micro 4/3rds wunderkids with NO mirror whatsoever?
   The 'point' of my 'parade of inquiries' is that in addition to Dr Ted's
pointing you towards pondering his more Intellectual Comments on 'Image Making'
there are quite a few definite functional and design characteristics to be
found
in the plethora of Digital SLR's out in the marketplace which can be really
flipping annoying! Especially if they were forced on you by the death of the
local photo dealer and having to shop and buy your dslr via the internet.
   Kick a few 'specifics' on which camera's your benchmarking your dslr against
and which dslr you have out into the group for discussion. Maybe you'll get
some
interesting comiseration or pointers or who knows what. There is an interesting
and pretty diverse group of folks populating this mailing list. They also use
and/or have used lots of different equipment.

Besides: It's been to quiet on the list lately - give us something to chat
about!

Richard in Michigan

"There is a joy in taking photographs that will always be there, it is the joy
of looking, of capturing that fraction of a second, it is the photographic
shot,
the intuitive shot..." (Henri Cartier-Bresson)

â??No man hath given his child anything better than good manners.â??
- Prophet Muhammad (570-632)