[LRflex] Re: OT : voltage question to US residents - URGENT - Olies - THANKS

  • From: Philippe AMARD <philippe.amard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 06:05:48 +0200

Thanks David for these detailed explanations and suggestions. Problem solved then. I think we'll buy it and swap the cord with another one must must have somewhere in the place.

Amitiés
Philippe

David Young wrote:

At 18/05/2008, you wrote:

Hi All,

my daughter would like to get an Oly for her birthday (soon), and we've had a look at the auction site.
Prices are plummeting in the US on a model she covets (410 double kit).
Only hitch, we don't know if Olies delivered in the US are 110V exclusive. And Europe has a 220 v standard. Could any , or more, of you let me know if the charger / adaptor is 220 v compatible?

Thanks in anticipation for swift replies as we wouldn't like to miss the auction, or buy some gear that would be hard to operate over here.
Phx

Good Afternoon, Philippe!

The Battery Charger supplied in the USA, with the E-410 is the BCS-1. This is the same charger supplied in the UK, Europe, Canada, Australia and Japan. It handles 100 to 240Volts, 50~60 hertz, automagically. This charger uses a separate cord, which plugs into the charger and into the wall. Only the cord is changed, when the cameras a shipped to different parts of the world. The cord with a US camera will have a twin, flat blade plug on the wall end.

Here, you can do one of several things.

1) order a replacement cord from your local Olympus importer. Better yet, as the charger end of the cord is standardized, buy a replacement cord from our local supplier. If Metz is short on places where such a cord can be bought, talk to Xavier. He can get one for you, in the shops where he helped us get an emergency replacement Photo-Bank, when we were last in Paris.

2) buy a Euro-plug to twin flat-blade adapter and use it with the cord.

2) do as I did, and shorten the cord to about 8 inches (20cm) by cutting off the wall end, and then put a new Euro plug (from your local DIY store) on the end. (I find one with a 90 degree plug, works best.)

This will enable you to plug the charger in, while also making the cord much smaller - ideal for travel. The plug fits into the charger with sufficient friction that you can plug the cord into the wall, then put the battery in the charger and the unit will hold that way, just fine. I feel that this is the best option .. .but that's just me.

If the price is right, make your daughter happy! The plug problem is easily solved.

David Young, Logan Lake, CANADA

Limited Edition Prints at: www.furnfeather.net <http://www.furnfeather.net/> Personal Web-site at: www.main.furnfeather.net <http://www.main.furnfeather.net/>