[LRflex] Re: OT: please, Leica marketing ears, open up!

  • From: Bille Xavier F. <hot_billexf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 09:32:24 +0200

Thanks Richard

However, the last time I met a Leica represntative, it was at the Paris Photo
fair, this gentleman explained that Leica AG was a "manufacture" rather than an
industry. This word, manufacture, refers to the watchmaking world, it
designates a small company able to craft master pieces in a small serie:

http://xavierf.b.free.fr/Temp/salon_photo/L1070869_dev.jpg

Indeed he was comparing Leica to IWC and Panasonic to SEIKO.

I'm not sure it is essential to keep the compatibility between the M lenses
with anything that come up. It happens that the u4/3 format accomodate it.
Good, now just add the "Leica filters" to the camera to give the best picture.
The R and M lenses were built to accomodate the traditinnal emulsionned film.
It needs a slight adaptation of the parameters of say, a digilux 3 to
accomodate.

On June 30th, Olympus will unveil a new camera, named EP3.  Here is a "mock up"
of what it could be, this is a _Rumor_ :

http://www.chassimages.com/forum/index.php?topic?484.0

I like this set up, with the view finder put on a left side (that's mee Digilux
3!). If the camera is as small as the EP2, it will be a great product. Add a
few lenses like the 25mm Summilux, a 15mm Summicron and a pair of others and
Voila, the concept of Leica CL has born again!
Small, yet efficient.

As the sensors and their devoted ASIC processor may need a few tweaks to take
the best picture, it would be best to add a small file on the SD card that
supplies the manufacturer parameters.

Or, reserve a flash area in the camera to store all these, when the camera
reads the brand code + lens code, it will adapt. This memory is entirely left
managed by the user, according to the lenses owned.

Mind you, compared with the IT industry, most devices are using the PCI
standard in the PC, brand + device codes are supplied to the mother boards and
then the drivers can program properly the devices according to the need of the
operating system.....
We can imagine a protocol based on "registers", such as EV, pincushion, barrel,
whatever. All the parameters could be protected by a CRC16 to assert the
integrity of the whole...

There is an approach to that with the Olympus E5, if you read the manual, you
will discover many parameters that can be used to tweak. Very interesting.

But we are far from the main subject: taking picture and enjoying the light!

In some weeks, my current contract will end, there is almost no chance I would
join a company working on a new camera, but, hey, if you need a IT, 23Years
Experience in Real Time Embedded, Safety designed systems, jost drop me a mail,
I'll gladly send a resume

Sorry for the wasted bandwidth!

Xavier F. BILLE

Maisons-Alfort - France.