[LRflex] Re: OT: Yikes!Still more on the Olympus Scandal.

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 12:30:20 -0500

Hi David,
   thank you for the nice summary update of latest development of everybodies
favorite soap opera: As The Oly Turns. :-D
There does seem to be an inherent obstacle for Dr. kauffman (nee Blackstone)
buying/saving Olympus from it's cash crunch: Leica's tie-ins with Pannasonic.
Panny slaps a leica name on the lens of nearly every p&s it sells and relies on
the Leica name for the premium 4/3 lenses in it's stable. I wonder how
receptive Panny would be to Leica buying a) a competitive p&s maker and b) it's
major 4/3 competitor, too. I'd suspect there is some contractual language
floating around in Panny's agreements with Leica which might be stumbling
blocks for a Leica-Oly match up.

Personally I find the prospect of an Olympus-Leica partnership pretty exciting.

It certainly seems to be an exciting time in the world of Camera Makers

Richard

My Sarcasm Fu Is Strong,
Proceed With Caution.  :-)