[LRflex] OT Researching French Antique Binoculars?

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: LeicaReflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 14:23:29 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Group,
   I'm having a terrible time Googling Up specific info on a pair of Old French
Binoculars I came across at a 'garage sale' years ago. They are fairly low
powered and have black enamel on the 'objective'? barrels, eye pieces, and the
focus mechanism tube, with 'turned'? brass cones connecting the objective lens
area to the eye piece area. (Photographs to come)  They're hand engraved at the
eye pieces "Chevalier" and "Paris" which of course turns out to be a famous
optics maker with a long history and mucho stuff listed for sale all over ebay
and the web. The challenge is finding specific historical references and
resources to date my specific pair! :-)
   I suspect my example might be fairly early (middle 1800's) because the
'Chevalier' markings were hand engraved which implies to me early/low volume
industrial output AND the later 1900ish examples I saw on the net had eyepieces
with the names molded or stamped into the metal. This is supposition on my part
since I can't locate reference sources.
Can anyone help me find a reference or research source for Chevalier Opticen
which was located in Paris?

BTW: they likely aren't of great value - the enamel is fairly worn and the
brass needs cleaning. The optics are surpisingly nice and as a binocular aren't
to bad at all, being low powered likely helps on that front.

I'm just curious.

Richard in Michigan

"There is a joy in taking photographs that will always be there, it is the joy
of looking, of capturing that fraction of a second, it is the photographic
shot, the intuitive shot..." (Henri Cartier-Bresson)

â??No man hath given his child anything better than good manners.â??
- Prophet Muhammad (570-632)