[LRflex] Re: OT: Olympus OM-D, Images Of

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2012 19:36:52 -0500

On Feb 4, 2012, at 4:17 PM, David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Richard!
>
> I've been playing with some of my friends EVF equipped cameras, and some of
> the better (newerA)
> finders aren't that bad!  Not, of course, a Leica SL, but still, not too bad.
>
> I keep thinking of one of them for a travel kit.  The OM-D might give me a
> lightweight travel kit
> and, with the battery grip, a large enough body to balance my existing Oly &
> Leica glass when my E3
> finally bites the dust.!
>
> I'll be very interested to see how the reviews rate the image quality.
>
> Thanks for the update.
>
> David.
> ------

Hi David,
no problem sharing info I bump into. I will say, though, if your E3 holds out
long enough, a huge technological break through has occurred. A european
company is displaying a tiny but ultra-resolution OLED they are bringing to
market for tech companies to design into their products. I'm having trouble
googling up the exact specs of it, but iirc it has many megapixels of
resolution and by virtue of each pixel being an independent light emitting
diode has a contrast and dynamic range far beyond where LCDs are at. It Should
make for a truly stunning electronic viewfinder.

There is a fair bit of salivating amongst tv mavens over the coming rollout of
consumer OLED TVs (my girlfriend is one of them). Supposed to be a major
advance in usability and visabilty in diverse light because of the dynamic
range and has 'head turning' sharpness and clarity without using fancy software
tricks to 'fake' being sharp. Our 36" Sony LCD (one of the last with anti-glare
coatings) is good enough to my eye and I am a fussy tv viewer. Always futzing
with the remote to fix 'wrong' colors, brightnesses, contrasts, etc.

R. In Mi.