[LRflex] Re: OT - Monitor Calibration

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 10:34:16 -0700

At 24/04/2007, you wrote:
>I just purchased the best flat panel monitor I could afford or find
>locally.  Samsung 226BW with a 3000:1 contrast range.  Things look quite
>nice, but slightly off.  I used an old Spyder (Not version 2) on it last
>night many times and it never worked will.  The light grays have a very
>noticeable pink or magenta tint to them. I followed the instructions to
>the letter and then tried deviating from them with various monitor
>settings and they went from bad to worse.
>
>Any hints would be greatly appreciated.  Does the Spyder 2 perform
>better?  The reviews say it is a bit better, but most of the reviews I
>have read say the original is pretty good, too.  I know it worked quite
>well on my CRT monitor.  I am tempted to take this back and stick to my
>old monitor, but I do like the 22" wide view.  I can fit lots of stuff
>on my screen.  The 3000:1 contrast ratio really shows the details in the
>shadows w/o blowing out the highlights.  I just want them to be an
>accurate representation of what I print.
>
>Aram

Hi Aram!

I cannot say anything about the Spyder, nor the Spyder 2, as I've not
used them.

I have used, and continue to use, the Monaco Optix XR (which is, I
believe, now discontinued).  I have a 19" Acer LCD Screen, and the
Monaco unit works well with it.  I have found the Monaco simple to
use and utterly accurate.  Colours and details I see on my screen are
exactly what I get, when I see the prints made by my local lab.

Please, keep us informed as to what you do.  Enquiring minds want to know!

Good Luck!