[LRflex] Re: OT Mac monitor question

  • From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2015 22:19:49 +0100

Aram asked:

Hi. I know most of you are Mac users. A new member in our camera club actually does have a Mac. She attended a Lightroom workshop I put on for the club and monitor calibration came up. She said she was told by someone at the Apple store that a Mac monitor does not need to be calibrated. Is this true? She said they calibrate themselves with some software included in the OS. I cannot see how that can be without connecting some sort of colorimeter to the screen.

Aram, you're right - even Macs can't automatically calibrate themselves. They do, however, have calibration software as part of the OS, tho' IMHO it's not particularly sophisticated.

It also depends on what monitor hardware you're using. Both my fairly ancient Macbook Pros (15" and 17") have LED screens, and what looks right post-calibration on my screen still looks a little light to others when posted on the Web. So I now tend to adjust stuff slightly darker on the screen than I otherwise would.

The other solution, of course, is to plug in a good additional non-LED monitor which can be adjusted using one of the many excellent calibration programs around. OTOH, I'm a cheapskate, and just ask my buddies with calibrated monitors to give me their feedback. As their comments are usually pretty consistent, I can then aim off by the appropriate amount.

Best.

Alex
--
Alex & Carmel Hurst