[LRflex] Re: OT Huey by Pantone

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 08:00:28 -0800

At 20/12/2006, you wrote:
>I just paid a visit to Ritz camera while on vacation and their catalog lists
>a monitor calibration tool callled Huey by Pantone.  I have used a Spyder
>for a few years and have been happy, but it is not mine.  this little device
>has good reviews where ever  I look, but I was wondering if anyone has
>bought one and is using it.  How does it work for you?  Can you compare it
>to a Spyder?
>
>Aram

HI Aram:

I cannot comment on the Huey, but thought you might find this
comment, gleaned from Photo.net, useful.

><http://www.photo.net/shared/community-member?user_id=2138143>Matthew
>Chilton<http://www.photo.net/member-status-icons> , nov 06, 2006; 11:03 a.m.
>I came across your post and figured I'd contribute, I manage the
>monitor calibration line of products here at Pantone.
>
>Actually, the huey is built with the same optical sensors as the GMB
>(now X-Rite)Eye-One Display 2. As long as you are looking for a
>clean, quick calibration (no profile editing or custom targeting)
>then huey will work perfectly.
>
>The calibration you get will be identical to that of an i1 device
>set to the same targets.
>
>FYI - We have alot of Pros, purchasing direct from us, buying an i1
>device for the studio and a huey for the road so your not alone in
>your thinking. If you have any specific questions about the huey
>feel free to give me a call. Good luck!
>
>Matthew Chilton Product Manager - Digital Solutions Pantone
>201-935-5500 ext 2231 mchilton@xxxxxxxxxxx

Personally, I use the X-rite Monaco XR and have found it to be very
good.  The GretaMacBeth EyeOne II also gets good reviews, and is a
bit cheaper, though twice the cost of the Huey.

Hope this helps.