[LRflex] Re: OT- Canon 5D help sought

  • From: "info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 11:21:05 +1000

 Hi Doug,
Is the DMR really that good?  There is a used one on eBay and am tempted for
my recently arrived R8.  Anything we should know?

Reg

Doug Herr wrote: Disappointed and Dejected in NY wrote: OK chaps, I thought
Ihad it all figured out. I was ready to buy a 5D Mark II body and, to start
with, use my existing Leica R and Contax RTS glass -of which I have an
adequate selection - on it with adapters. The 5-year plan was to replace the
R and CZ glass with Canon L and Zeiss ZE lenses as and when funds permitted.
Now, I 've played with the 5D a zillion times and, while I prefer Nikon's
ergonomics, have never felt uncomfortable with the operation of the 5D; in
other words all systems were go and I was quite prepared to do my civic duty
and help revive the US and Japanese economies. So today, I walked into B&H
Photo with my cheque book and four different kinds of plastic in hand, ready
to take a 5DII body home when I made the mistake of asking the salesman to
put on the 50mm CZ lens on the camera. The 50 mm CZ Makro, 24mm T/S, and
70-200 mm f4 IS zoom are three of the lenses on my wish list. Well, try as I
might, I could not consistently get the focus point right with the 50 CZ
lens. On close up objects I was off by at least 5 degrees of rotation almost
every time. I have never had problems with my focusing technique when using
Leica R or Contax RTS gear so naturally I was quite perturbed. The Canon 5D
has to have the worst finder and focus screen I have seen in an SLR, even
including the Exakta. I asked the salesman if any alternative focus screens
were available, and he did mention that a high resolution screen - whatever
that might be - exists and might help with manual focus but an open one was
not available to try out on this camera. At this point I thought that moving
ahead with the purchase was unwise so I came home sans 5D-Mk II. The first
thing I did on coming home was to dust off my Contax ST - a genuinely nice,
user friendly, camera, one worth considering if you are in the market - and
tried it out with the 60 mm CZ macro. I made several attempts to focus this
combo on small objects in dim light indoors and was able to get repeatable
results, confirming that nothing is wrong with my eyes. So Canon Digital
users - I expect that there are quite a few of you out there - HOW DO YOU
COPE WITH MF LENSES? Are there any tips , tricks, trade secrets, etc. etc.
that you can offer when using non EOS lenses? Do any third party focus
screens exist that make manual focus easier? Answers welcomed. (apologies
forshouting) There are numerous reasons I'm so passionate about the DMR and
Leica's 'adequate solution' for using R lenses. You've touched on one of
them. Supposedly Canon's "better for manual focus" viewscreen is reasonably
adequate as long as the camera's mirror box is well-calibrated (Canon sells
the viewscreen shims for those intrepid enough to DIY). Then there's image
quality. If you want to like the 5DII's image quality don't compare it with
the DMR or a digital M Leica. Doug Herr Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com[1] ------ Unsubscribe or change to/from Digest
//www.freelists.org/archives/leicareflex/[3]

--- Links ---
   1 http://www.wildlightphoto.com