[LRflex] Re: Now, to boost the sales for the R10, if ever it comes, it should come with...

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 17:30:51 -0500

Hi Xavier,
I'm sorry I didn't get the sarcasm nor the tongue in cheek intent of your post.
I am also bummed you had such woes while strolling around the service menus of
your camera. Trust me, I dearly know what you felt coping with that yellow
triangle, my experience was with a pc fighting tooth and nail to not run well
after an operating system conversion, but 'google' heard me muttering dear god
help me find what to try next. I am glad you got the camera back to health,
bythe way.

Turning to iPhones, software, and walled gardens! :-)
a) the only camera less awkward to use, hold, and take pictures with than an
iPhone is an iPad! And the only thing worse than THAT is a frackin monorail!
And YES I have used all three... I am not being hyperbolous. Well, maybe a
little! :-).
b) Setting aside ergonomics and camera image quality: I sincerely believe Apple
has unequivocably demonstrated a way for NiCanTax et al to put their
engineering efforts into the hardware of their cameras and limit their software
endeavour to making or porting an Operating System for their hardware so the
basic tasks of image capture, writing to memory cards, showing previews, and
choosing basic camera settings like ISO are built in. Then all the fancy stuff
like art filters, esoteric auto hdr shooting, auto panorama stitching, etc etc
are things camera buyers can add to their camera later.
c)  Even better for a camera maker, they don't have to write all the frackin
code themselves for all the dang cameras by doing what apple does with it's app
store. Freelance independent companies write the apps them selves and submit
them to the oem to sell in the store. The oem only has to run a suite of bench
tests to see if the app bricks a camera etc and then collect their commission
when people buy the app.

By the way, I make no claim to coming up with this concept for camera apps like
this. I have read various permutations of it conceptualized on a couple
different photography blogs over the last few years.

Sincerely
Richard Ward

My Sarcasm Fu Is Strong,
Proceed With Caution.  :-)