[LRFlex] Re: Now it's getting personal!

  • From: NATSTEK@xxxxxxx
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 19:17:03 EST

OK,OK, GUY'S,

I can best ALL of you.

About 10 years ago, I was doing a roof inspection on a high-rise apartment
building in Cincinnati, Ohio and standing much too close to the edge of the
roof
than I should have been. Anyway, I was shooting job pics with an R3Mot, with
winder and a 35mm f/2 Summicron and the strap was NOT around my neck. A strong
gust of wind came up (24 stories in the air), and I moved back from the roof
edge, (Laws of self preservation et al.), anyway, the neckstrap snagged on a
rooftop antenna and the camera launched out into the wild blue yonder.

It fell at the rate of one, or more obscenities per floor. I watched it fall,
till it hit the hillside below, which was covered with dense shrubbery! I
thought OK, I'll just go down and get it. NYET! It bounced off of some
shrubbery,
launched back out into thin air AND went down, over a cliff into I believe,
The Ohio River, never to be seen again.

I think that I was more PO'd at the loss of the film than the camera at that
moment. I had earlier thought about using an Olympus Stylus Zoom (35~70,
w/date function). Well, to make a long story short, I went back down to my car
and
did get the Olympus out to reshoot the inspection.

The Roofing Contractor that I was with said "I sure hope that wasn't an
expensive camera, it sure looked like it though". I replied, "You have no idea".

Art Tafil