[LRFlex] Not So Wonderful Kindermann Service

  • From: "Earthmother" <veggie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 20:00:08 -0400

I'm afraid that I'm not one of those who is enamored of  the quality of the
Leica repair service provided by Kindermann.

About one year ago I sent a functioning Leica IIIg to Kinderman for a
routine CLA  (Kindermann is not an inexpensive place to have such service
done).  It was returned to me with a non-functional self timer which
required my sending it to Kindermann a second time, at my expense, to
correct  sloppy work on their part.

Adding insult to injury, Kindermann uses UPS to ship to the US (where I
live). The sweethearts at UPS charge a $32 customs brokerage fee on top of
the shipping cost to return your own camera back to you (no duty, of course,
and hence no evident service provided by UPS). Shipping by Canada Post would
require no such brokerage fee. Kindermann also billed me for return postage
when they sent the camera back to me the second time which required my
telephoning them (me expense again) to have the expenses reversed to them
from my credit card.

Short of losing my camera, it is difficult to imagine what else Kindermann
could have gotten wrong.

Six months after the camera was returned the second time from Kindermann,
the shutter speed dial came loose. The IIIg is now at a domestic US repair
shop getting that sorted out.

    www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm