[LRflex] Re: Not Lost in Translation.

  • From: Bob Shaw <rsphotoimages@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 11:34:12 -0800

David:

Fortunately, Photoshop Elements 4.0 for Mac can open DMG files

I did so with the referenced files you put up on your site.  After
studying and playing with them in PSE 4.o, I have to say that Leica
certainly have nothing to be ashamed of in the "Digital Space".

I don't do reportage any more.  I don't do commercial studio stuff so
there are no 4 by 6 foot Cibachrome enlargements - hence I don't pay
much attention to Noise and Moire, anyway.

What I do pay attention to is the quality and impact of the shot.

These are great images from - I'm now convinced - two great Picture
Taking Machines (if I may borrow your very apt phrase...), the DMR and
the M8.  It's Photography, for sure.

Thanks for the intuitive website, and for sharing.

Bob in Seattle.

On Nov 5, 2006, at 9:25, David Young wrote:

All:

Eric Chan sent me an Italian review of the new Leica M8 and John
Scocca graciously offered to translate it into English. John's done a
fine job!

I have now posted this review and John's English translation on my
web-site.  At present, you will have to download both, as the
translation does not include the photos, for copyright reasons.  We
are presently awaiting permission of the Author, Roberto Piero
Ottavi, to provide a combined version, which will be done as soon as
permission is received.

On Roberto's site, there are also seven photos, in DNG format, for
those who would like to see just what the M8 can do.  If you do not
have software capable of viewing compressed DNG files, I have also
included a link to Andrew Yu's, free, FastStone Image Viewer, which
does the job, incredibly well!

As well, if you read Italian, there is a link to the entire, current
issue of LeicaPassion - the online magazine. (In Italian.)

In addition, I have posted (in PDF format) my own review of the M8,
which will be published within the next fortnight in the LHSA's
Viewfinder. (In English.)

You can find links to all of this at:
http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/M8_Review_pdf.htm

Thanks, once again, to John Scocca, for his superb translation work.

Cheers and Ciao!

David.