[LRflex] Not Focus Stacking

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: LRflex <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 10:51:17 -0700

Fellow Flexer, Alex Hurst, has just reminded me, off list, that there is
definitely "more than one way to skin a cat".

Some 10 years ago, Leica loaned me their 28/2.8 Super Angulon Perspective
Control lens.

I needed to take an image of the lens, which had been loaned to me only for a
day.  The image would accompany an review I was writing for the LHSA's
Viewfinder magazine.

At the time, I didn't own any double-element, achromat close up lenses, and
every lens I had would either not focus close enough, or was too close, with
extension tubes, so that I could not get the entire lens in the shot.

Amid much laughter, particularly from Alex, I put every extension tube I had on
my 400mm 6.8 Telyt.  I placed Leica's PC-lens on the railing at one end of my
balcony and put the 400 + tubes on the tripod at the other end of the balcony,
some 16 feet or 3 meters away.  This is how the shot turned out.

http://www.furnfeather.net/StackTest2/Leica-PC-SAR.html

Definitely the hard way to do it, but the editor was delighted.

Ya just gotta be creative!

David.

is active.