[LRflex] Re: No subject

  • From: Charlie Falke <chfalke@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 13:12:15 -0400

On 4/1/2010 1:01 PM, Richard Ward wrote:
> "when it hits well the only comparison is
>
>> Ektar 100.  Foveon looks alive like film does, a lot of other digital
>> seem one dimensional.
>>
>> Walter
>>

> Walter,
>      It's a remarkable effect when it's working.  I wonder how much is the
> sensor and how much is in the firmware?"
>

> Hi Charlie&  Walter,
>     to chime in blithely based on theoreticals, readings, and no empirical
> experience! It is my "firm" understanding

Richard,
    A lot of good points, It seems intuitive from the promotional material
that the Foveon sensor should always work better, but of course that's what
promotional material is supposed to do.  The strange thing is that it isn't
always, but sometimes.  As far as looking like a particular film, that
would be relatively easy to do in the sensor firmware, which is what I
was wondering.  There is already software available to mimic various
films.
    As far as VHS vs. BETA goes, BETA was better, VHS won because Sony
didn't license enough third parties and Japan Victor did.
And Ampex, who invented videotape, well there's still a name on
the building you can see from Highway 101 in Redwood City. :-)

--
  Charlie Falke                                        _____      /\
  "One test result is worth                       |    |/        `o
    one thousand expert opinions" - Wernher Von Braun  0  N4003M
  "Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein