[LRflex] Re: News: Zeiss to buy Leica?

  • From: Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@xxxxxx>
  • To: LeicaReflex <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2017 22:32:23 +0200

Just another thought, the rumour could actually apply to Jenoptik - after all, they used to be called *Carl Zeiss* *Jena*

On 04.08.2017 18:19, Douglas Sharp wrote:

It would probably make more sense if Jenoptik and Leica would merge their business activities - Jenoptik covers sectors in which (as far as we know) Leica Camera AG is not currently involved

Electric Power Supply and Drive Systems
Industrial Metrology
Cameras and Camera Modules
Laser and Laser Technology
LED lighting
Aviation Systems
Optics and Optical Systems
Optoelectronics and Optoelectronic
Systems
Defense and Security Technology
Traffic Safety Systems

Take a look here: https://www.jenoptik.com/

A pretty impressive profile, and a real phoenix from the ashes of the GDR

Cheers
Douglas

On 03.08.2017 23:31, David Young wrote:
With a 45% stake, that's not likely happen. However, is appears Zeiss is only interested if they can have a controlling interest, at which point your fears become quite real. It would not be the only company purchased by a competitor and then run into the ground.

However, I don't see AMC/Herr Kaufmann giving up control of Leica.

David.

TBH I can only see it as good news. Better an exit to a profitable going photographic concern than Blackstone cashing out to an outfit looking to sell brand licenses while they cashier the workforce, shutter plants, and switch to contract factories in South China.

________________________________

What would men be without women?
Scarce, sir, mighty scarce.
- Mark Twain
________________________________

With
On Aug 3, 2017, at 12:26 PM, Frank Filippone <red735i@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Blackstone wants to sell their shares.....
Interesting that Zeiss would want to buy the OTHER high quality optical
house....
Could be a very sweet deal for users......

Frank Filippone

Red735i@xxxxxxxxxxx

I'm a bit behind, it seems. But yesterday, Reuters reported that Ziess may
be in the market for 45% of Leica (though, in the long run, they might want
more).

Details are here:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-blackstone-leica-camera-sale-idUSKBN1AI22
V?lr=lr

Curiouser and curiouser, said Alice!

David.

------
Unsubscribe or change to/from Digest Mode at:
   http://www.lrflex.furnfeather.ca/
Archives are at:
?//www.freelists.org/archives/leicareflex/
------