[LRflex] Re: Newbie intro

  • From: Steve Barbour <stikwa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 23:10:36 -0700

On Jul 25, 2009, at 11:07 PM, David Young wrote:

Dave Tang wrote:

Hi there,

I am currently using a Canon 5Dm2 and since I've bought a Summicron- R 50 f2 to be used with adaptor on my Canon, I am hooked!! I've since bought a 35 cron n a 50 lux. currently, looking for a film SLR.

Deciding between R4S, R-E, R5 or R6.2.  advice?
Thanks.  I am in Singapore btw.

Then Guy wrote:

Hi, Dave,

Any of those are great, and you cant go wrong with any of them. R4S will be the most compact & easiest to run around with. RE might be the least expensive of them at the moment R5, many say, is an overlooked classic. R6.2 will be the most expensive, prolly; it currently has an ersatz cache because it's all mechanical. I recommend them all, including SLs and SL2s, naturally, but, of those you name -- personally -- I especially like the R4S. This question can be fussed over interminably by cognoscenti, and why not? You are certainly prudent to ask, but just get one (you really can't lose if the camera or cameras in question is/are in good shape) and go from there.

Your lenses are great, as you've discovered.

Good luck, and welcome!

Guy

Hi Dave!

Welcome to the Zoo!

I agree with Guy .. you really can't go wrong with any of 'em. If you're thinking mechanical, consider the R6. The R6 is identical to the R6.2 except for the 1/2000th shutter speed; and the R6 goes for considerably less.

I'd go for an R6 or R6.2 ...

welcome,

Steve

I've owned, and miss, them both (Even used the R5 in Singapore!)

If you want a little fun with your 50 Summicron, pick up some used ELPROs ... they're designed for that lens, very good, and very reasonable. (I paid US$20 each, for mine.)

For more, go to: http://www.main.furnfeather.net click on Articles (left side) and than click on "(Re)Discovering the Elpros", on the right.

BTW: It's a very slim chance, but I'm curious. Might you have worked in a Singapore Fishing Tackle store in 2002?

David Young
Logan Lake, BC

Wildlife Photos: www.furnfeather.net
Rodeo Photos: www.galleries.furnfeather.net