[LRflex] Re: Newbie Introduction

  • From: David Simms <simmszee@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 10:27:37 -0700 (PDT)

Hi there, Rob;
I'm Dave, from the backwoods of BC...a retired teacher. You'll be in good
company here.
Among other things, i program micro-controllers so I'm not afraid of computers.
But...it's really about this digital image thing. What can I say ? While the
photographer's busy setting up his menus and deciding on what focal length to
use, life goes by. I have a R6 and there's no denying that reflex cameras have
their well-deserved place but, the uncluttered, direct and  intuitive nature of
the M (and, even the oldies, like the 3 C, 3F, etc.) in my mind, anyway, more
effectively connects the photographer with the subject. Yes, the M is limited.
It can't be and never pretended to be all things to all people, however, within
its grasp, I think that the M is tops. So, I use both.
Film ?? Kodak is bowing out. We're going to miss you, Kodak. There's just not
enough bucks in it for the big multinational. Tough luck. Nature abhors a
vacuum and, we may become lucky enough to see a variety of niche products, from
places like Eastern Europe or who-knows-where, come in to fill the void.

As I said, you will see a variety of points of view expressed here but,
analogue is far from dead.

Dave, Clearwater, BC