[LRflex] New Year and new camera

  • From: Gary E <ge_crocus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Leica Reflex <LeicaReflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 18:36:28 -0800 (PST)

Happy Holidays and Happy New Year to all!

I have been reading a lot of posts regarding digital alternatives on this list,
and since I don't want to hold my breath any longer for a dR10 or what have
you, I am considering the adaptive road.  This is where the new camera comes
in.  Now I don't have much experience in the digital domain since its
inception.  I had a Minolta 7 and now a Canon A570is (hardly hard core digital
equipment).

The thing is I cannot seem to get away from Leica glass whether it's M or R.  I
do also use my Contax or Nikon AF system once in a while (depending on event or
use).  But it's the glass that has kept me with Leica this long with film.
Now, I have read people on this list use Olympus/Panasonic 4/3 system or the
Canon system.  All the photos look great, but I would probably be able to live
with a 1.6x factor compared to a 2.0x factor.  I only, for a moment, thought
about the M8, but I seem to like the SLR more so than the rangefinder (though
it depends on the event or use again).

I would think some of you would have tried the available routes to get to where
you're at now, so I just want to draw on a little bit on your experiences.  My
starter route is the Canon XSi.  I don't think the screen is user exchangeable
as with the more pro like models.  Was this a deal breaker for your decision to
settle on the system/rig you now use?  Is it difficult to focus without a split
screen?  The Catz Eye screen seems to be recommended by most folks.

David, you seem to be set on your Olympus E3 system and Doug has been using a
DMR for his wildlife photos.  It seems the stop down metering caused you to
either go dedicated digital with another system or to succumb to a digital R
body.  I take it there's no in between for you?

Sorry for the long post after lurking all this time.

Take care all,
Gary E