[LRflex] Re: New Member

  • From: Douglas Herr <telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 04:57:17 -0700

On Aug 28, 2006, at 3:10 AM, Chris Birchenhall wrote:

> Hello
>
> Here are a few words of introduction from a new member.

Welcome to the nuthouse, Chris.

> ... a nice clean SL2 for what I considered a good price. I snapped it
> up. I have since
> obtained a 2.8/35mm Elmarit and a 2.8/60mm Macro-Elmarit; both are
> 3-cam.

Excellent choices.

>  I do not understand the prices asked for R bodies. The R6.2 seems
> to command a premium and R8s can be bought for relatively low prices.
> Is the
> R6.2 a superior camera in use to the R8 - or the R7 for that matter -
> or has
> this model become a focus for collectors?

The R6.2 is the last of the mechanical Leica reflex bodies and it has
the most handy features of any of the mechanical Leica-R line, so
there's some collector-driven pricing as well as those who want the
most recent and versatile, yet battery-independant camera they can
find.

>  Are their R8 "lemons" out there
> spoiling that market? If so how do I spot them?

Early R8 production has a few electronic and material bugs that caused
consternation for some people, but Leica has been diligent about fixing
those bugs for free any time the camera comes in for service.  Bugs
were stuff like an improperly-cured plastic part that eventually caused
film scratches and electronic glitches that would show up only when
you'd attached a winder or DMR.

>  The R8 seems a natural
> companion to the SL2 in that it opens up the option of R and ROM
> lenses and
> maybe, just maybe, a DMR!

It does provide those options, that's exactly what I'm using: R8/DMR
and SL2 (as well as SL and the occasional R4 and R4sP).  R-only and ROM
lenses may also be converted to 3-cam to fit the SL2, and they're still
perfectly functional on the R8 without ROM.  All of my lenses are
3-cam.  This option isn't always available to the SL user because of
mirror clearance issues but there's no such problem with your SL2.  BTW
the SL2 is the last of the hand-built mechanical Leica reflexes and was
produced in relatively few numbers so there's considerable collector
interest in mint-condition samples of this camera too.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com