[LRflex] Re: My .02 worth - Live View???

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 12:51:07 -0700

Gary wrote:
>Here we go again -- equating Live View with the "arms-length-amateur"
>. I'll say it again - the Olympus E-330 with tiltable live view mode
>is the most revolutionary, photographic creative tool in the last 50
>years. When I switch to live-view, it is in order to brace the camera
>on a table or somewhere that doesn't allow my head to get behind the
>optical viewfinder. Bracing the E-330 like a twin lens reflex against
>your chest or on your lap makes for a steadier hold than up against
>your head, too.
>
>David - "good photographic practice" dictates that we do whatever is
>necessary to get the shot as sharp as the subject dictates, not that
>we adhere to some old-fashioned concept that in a digital world we
>hold the camera braced on our head. Think ahead, man! Why should we
>not be able to project the viewfinder on our eyeglasses in the new
>world of digital photography!?.
>
>Your comment is like describing good offhand marksmanship techniques
>when a bench rest is available! With the E-330 live-view, I am
>holding a camera steadier for more shots than I would ever have
>thought possible.  For the last year, many of my photographs would
>not have been possible without the tilt-LCD  function. I would NEVER
>matter, a live LCD without the tilt function. The Olympus E-330 is
>why I don't shoot Leica anymore, unless it's for a nostalgic spin
>around the block. However, I DO still shoot Leica R lenses, attached
>with 4/3 adapter to the Olympus, dubbed the "Lympa" -  a silly name,
>but memorable, and described in great detail at my  Lympa Log:
>http://northcoastphotos.com/Lympa.htm
>
>Some slow shutter speed shots without a tripod are at:
>http://northcoastphotos.com/Lympa_2006_04_02.htm
>
>Aram - go modern; use tiltable Live View. Everybody else - tell Leica
>to get back to their creative roots and make an M and R with tiltable
>live view! Anything else is still in the Nikon and Canon buggy-whip
>days of optical viewfinders.
>
>Gary Todoroff

Hi Gary!

Sorry... I understand your use of Live View ... but, sadly, I have
seen a number of Oly 4/3rds users, holding their cameras at arms
length, like P&S users.

As I mentioned, I can see the use of LV, especially on tripod
work.  However, anywhere the camera well braced is fine, too. But, I
do not see it as a suitable replacement for a decent viewfinder,
which is how I see it being used, on the street.

It was your work, along with that of Howard and Philippe which made
me look hard at the Oly, as a backup for my R camera.  When talking
with the manager at my local shop, I postulated that the finder was
so dim and distant because they'd siphoned so much light off, for the
LV, that if they made it visually larger, it would be so dim as to be
unusable.  He said that was what he'd been told by the Oly rep.

All that being said, I admire the work you've done with your Oly, as
I admire the work Harold, Philippe and, now, Xavier have done.  My
comments were not to denigrate LV, but to explain to Aram what LV is,
and how it functions.

Sorry if I got under your skin.