[LRflex] Re: Morning light in Pisa with Leica glass

  • From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 14:38:54 -0700

Eric Chan said and posted photos:

>>!  I wish that there was more artistry in these shots - but I'm looking
forward to hearing some critiques all the same.<<<

Eric mon ami,

When you produce images of this quality using light...."NEVER EVER MAKE
APOLOGIZES!"

>>>So it is time to share photos taken on March 14 at dawn in Pisa;  I

felt a bit half-dead from jet-lag, but couldn't sleep so I reached for

the Hexar RF and climbed onto the hotel roof around 5:50AM to get

these shots with Leica glass:<<<

Half the people on this list should be so fortunate to be under the
influence of jet-lag and come up with photographs as well as these.

>>http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Leicaflex/Pisa/MoonSetting_Dawn_web.jpg.h
tml

(Sorry about the graininess.....maybe I will re-scan this and try again)>>>

The sun hasn't even come up yet and you are standing on the roof of the
hotel under the influence of jet lag producing a mood picture like this and
you apologize about what we see here as non-existing grain? Hell man it's
beautiful! Don't make negative comments about good photography. And if
someone should mention "grain?"  Tell them to stick in their ear and meet
you on the roof, same time, same travel conditions and see how well they do!

>>>http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Leicaflex/Pisa/Rooftop35ac_web.jpg.html

(the sun hadn't risen yet hence the colors are soft and with little
contrast)<<<

Not much to say but.... "Good on you!"

>>> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Leicaflex/Pisa/Tower1_web.jpg.html

(Tele-elmarit showing good resolution here)<<<<

I suppose the "good resolution" means something to some folks, however not
me! As I'm looking at the "quality of the photograph and to hell with the
resolution." Simply because most times the human eye can't see it anyway!
Quite frankly the image is quite good regardless of any concern of
resolution.

>>. http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Leicaflex/Pisa/Tower2_web.jpg.html

(.....and Tri-Elmar at ground level later on that same morning)<<<<<

And the light begins to create a magical image, not the best yet, but
beginning as the sun rises higher in the sky.

ml<<<<

(closer to the cherubs statue - f4 on the Tri-Elmar doesn't blur the

background enough for me)<<<<<<<<,

The blurring background in either of these is hardly a problem, however to
each his own about their own photography. I much prefer the tighter photo,
not that there's anything wrong with the first. It's simply because the
light, as in "SHOOTING FROM THE SHADOW SIDE" creates a more powerful image
in making great use of the light bringing out the details in the second so
well.

(stepping back across the street and pressing my back to the wall

allowed me to use the window awnings as a frame for this 8AM view of

the Pisa Tower campus; Tri-ELmar @ 28mm)<<<<

An interesting photo of the post card type, but at least you made good use
of the awning in creating a framing effect.

>>>http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Leicaflex/Pisa/Battistero.jpg.html

(I was quite surprised how much compression effect the Tele-Elmarit

affords even at 90mm)<<<<

Bottom-line? It's another very fine photograph that balances well. Good on
you.

An excellent job of milking a location for a solid set of photographs while
everyone else was still in bed. Well done! Good on you!

ted