[LRflex] Morning light in Pisa with Leica glass

  • From: LEICAFLEX <leicaflex@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 11:38:16 -0700

I should get back to the main reason why we are reading this grouplist
- not to hear one person's philosophical panderings, but to explore
photography.

At one point (thankfully light rays do focus to a point with a sharp
lens), it is not about equipment but about the presence or absence of
light.....for your sensor of your film.

So it is time to share photos taken on March 14 at dawn in Pisa;  I
felt a bit half-dead from jet-lag, but couldn't sleep so I reached for
the Hexar RF and climbed onto the hotel roof around 5:50AM to get
these shots with Leica glass:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Leicaflex/Pisa/MoonSetting_Dawn_web.jpg.html
(Sorry about the graininess.....maybe I will re-scan this and try again)

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Leicaflex/Pisa/Rooftop35ac_web.jpg.html
(the sun hadn't risen yet hence the colors are soft and with little contrast)

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Leicaflex/Pisa/Tower1_web.jpg.html
(Tele-elmarit showing good resolution here)

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Leicaflex/Pisa/Tower2_web.jpg.html
(.....and Tri-Elmar at ground level later on that same morning)

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Leicaflex/Pisa/Cherubs_amp_Tower.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Leicaflex/Pisa/Cherubs.jpg.html
(closer to the cherubs statue - f4 on the Tri-Elmar doesn't blur the
background enough for me)

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Leicaflex/Pisa/PisaCampo.jpg.html
(stepping back across the street and pressing my back to the wall
allowed me to use the window awnings as a frame for this 8AM view of
the Pisa Tower campus; Tri-ELmar @ 28mm)

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Leicaflex/Pisa/Battistero.jpg.html
(I was quite surprised how much compression effect the Tele-Elmarit
affords even at 90mm)

All these shots taken with Kodak Ultracolor 400UC were scanned into
TIF at my local drugstore - unfortunately I saw some yellow fringing
while working on them with PS, but decided to post them anyway hoping
the downsized jpeg's won't be too telling. If I have time, I will
re-scan these shots and re-post on the Leica Gallery pages.
Flavio, I hope that I've done the regality of Toscano no injustice
with my typical tourist shots of your homeland!  I wish that there was
more artistry in these shots - but I'm looking forward to hearing some
critiques all the same.

"Buon giorno", Eric Chan