[LRflex] More from Vienna

  • From: Peter Klein <boulanger.croissant@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lug <lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2019 22:13:01 -0800

This is Vienna's Secession Museum, home to an avant-garde movement of artists that began around 1897.
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/49041424731/in/dateposted-public/>

In 1902 a major exhibit was held there. Gustav Klimt painted a set of murals interpreting Beethoven's 9th Symphony.  This section evokes the darkness, empty pleasure-seeking and search for meaning Klimt heard in the early movements of the symphony:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/PA200075.jpg.html>
And this panel shows the final "Ode to Joy" movement:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/PA200072.jpg.html>
(These are displayed on the LUG gallery to avoid running afoul of any bluenoses on flickr or Facebook).

August Rodin came to the exhibit.  And another French visitor found things to his taste.
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/49041635662/in/dateposted-public/>

Here is a Holocaust memorial in the Servitengasse neighborhood. It pairs old-fashioned house keys with the names of the "vanished neighbors."
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/49040921963/in/dateposted-public/>
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/49041635567/in/dateposted-public/>
The neighborhood church is beautiful:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/49040921853/in/dateposted-public/>

On our last night in Vienna, we went to the outskirts of the city for a typical Austrian dinner with our young friends David and Victoria:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/49040921878/in/dateposted-public/>
A lovely little church in this outlying district:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/49041635477/in/dateposted-public/>

David and Victoria's instruments:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/49040922048/in/dateposted-public/>

Olympus E-M5 and Panasonic 20/1.7 (40mm equivalent).  Enjoy!
--Peter

------
Unsubscribe or change to/from Digest Mode at:
  http://lrflex.furnfeather.ca/
Archives are at: