[LRflex] Re: More from Alaska

  • From: "Dr. Puritz" <drpuritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 09:32:19 -0400

More great images Doug!

Doug, I note that the images recently shared with us have almost all been
made with the DMR ( are you still using film? ). When you have the time and
the inclination, can you tell us briefly why you have made the decision to
make most of your recent images with the DMR, and how much "processing time"
you have needed in front of the computer?  For many of us starting to
explore the digital space the inchoate need to spend many hours before a
computer screen is intimidating.

I might also ask others who have used the DMR to also chime in, e.g., David.
Thanks in advance to any who have the time to respond.  Very much
appreciated.

Allow me to very briefly share that my recent efforts with my wife's D200
have been going well.  Nothing as compared with Doug's and David's of
course.  Shooting with many of the "default" settings and simply using Jpeg
"fine" yields images that are almost all usable for the intended purposes of
internet sharing, and making "A" sized prints and 5x7.  However, I still
find the images taken with the R and M on film to be sharper and more
contrasty.  I have not found it necessary yet to spend lots of time before
the computer, for Nikon's Picture Project does allow some very rudimentary
editing functions.  I admit to finding some of the "archiving" steps to be
burdensome, and what I have done so far is to take the memory card to my
very accomplished and helpful Fuji dealer who does some more easily
accomplished crops and color corrections ( evidently Fuji has anticipated
the digital space and has provided such editing programs on their
machines-no need to use photoshop or other third party editing programs.
The image appears on the computer screen at the machine, editing is very
quickly done, the image is saved for printing and/or archiving );  my friend
then makes me a CD with an index print.  I proceed to file the "digital
negatives" with the index prints, reformat the card, and start again.  Such
efforts are not inexpensive-estimate of about 30-40 cents give and take for
each image.  However, time is saved, and the results are probably better
then what I can currently achieve.

Elliot