[LRflex] Re: More contoversy!

  • From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 08:49:57 -0800

Hey crew,
Some how I'm still missing something here in what's really important about
our photography.

Question;
What is more important? The actual photograph captured ? Or how many
twinkies/noise per mm from a DMR or the 20D?

If you have time for a quick peek at some basketball action photographs shot
the past couple of evenings, a 20D with a 50mm lens at 3200, I don't really
think being overly concerned about noise is of much consequence.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/My-Photo-Life?page=3

I suppose the difference of thought on the DMR is what the tool is being
used for. Much along the lines of why we use Leica cameras and not other,
because we know-feel the Leica cuts a different looking negative or slide
much to our satisfaction.

However, having used several other manufacturers equipment over the years my
gut feeling is still to capture the finest photograph possible with the
least amount of fussing with gear.

As you all know I'm certainly the last person in the world to be fiddling
with knobs, dials and funny names of things I don't have a clue about nor
what they do. WHY?

Simply because the bottom line for me in over 50 years as a professional
is..... I want to take pictures with the least amount of time consuming
fiddling!

So I think the basketball action pictures as we see them are far more
important as is, than twiddling and fiddling. Set them all to full auto and
shoot! They print quite nicely by the way @ 11X14.

Remember.. it still comes down to "KISS" folks! :-)

I know it's a hell of a way to start off what's supposed to be a quiet
relaxing weekend having me rant on about gizmo stuff.  ;-)

Me? I'm back to shooting several more basketball games today for the
championship. :-) Wish me luck! Thanks.

the old grump!

ted