[LRflex] More Mirrorless Leica R Camera Thoughts and Link

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 10:04:08 -0700 (PDT)

Hello All,
    further notes and thoughts on what I previously posted regarding a
'Mirrorless' Leica Camera for providing a 'R' Solution. Some of the 'rumor'
regarding this "camera" I came across talked about it being Autofocus, but NOT
in the lens or lenses. Rather it does so by using a sensor shift design to
achieve autofocus - presumably autofocusing with R lenses, too - which gives
Leica an OUT card on having to design and build Autofocus lenses for it. If the
'camera' is a derivative of the 'nex' lineup this could give them an Autofocus
camera option as well because if it's based on the 'Nex' that camera's lens
flange spec is rather minuscule.
    In my last email I noted a 'cool' Sony Alpha camera that recently came out
"http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyslta55/"; which has an 'slr' feel and look
to it's design, but the viewfinder is all Digital. Frankly, hi-resolution LCD's
have come a long way and it's starting to win converts in the camera field -
there have been some interesting "I didn't think I'd like it, but do' comments
on the CVUG mailing lists regarding Micro Four Thirds Digital Viewfinders. Not
saying a 'real' mirror viewfinders doesn't have advantages, but these digital
ones bring special abilities of their own and are closing the gaps they have
with optical ones with each new generation.

   I think that with Leica sidelining it's FourThirds' camera and lens efforts,
they can re-enter that market segment with a Leica Only effort which keeps
their
Cachet of terrific Manual Focus lenses but retains AF for the masses via sensor
shift. Besides: when hasn't Leica loved delicate highly engineered focusing
equipment! :-) Anyone here seen the specifications, tolerances, and blueprints,
for Rangefinder Systems. Cams, prisms, mirrors, levers, gears, etc etc etc the
miracle isn't that it's precise - the miracle is that it works at all! (Just a
little Hyperbole to lighten the mood.)

Whether 'Sony' is really working with Leica or not, who knows. If an
announcement is made at/for Photokina, it's been beta tested in somebodies
hands
and they aren't talking. NDA anyone? I'm just saying that the underlying logic
of sony having a microlens issue due to short lens flange spec's makes sense
and
partnering with Leica on 'projects' to gain some of their specialized knowledge
on the problem also makes sense.

Leica has never promised a good, a great, or a perfect 'R' solution, but the
undeclared premise is a solution they can make money with. A mirrorless camera
that can bayonet R lenses onto would work, especially Full Frame, but if it can
take M  lenses as well AND Auto Focus Them, too - it then becomes economically
viable across product cycles without restarting R lens production. I also don't
see with mirrorless cameras short-ass lens mounts an R lens adapter 'Tube' (and
it would be a tube) can't include a stop down mechanism. If Leica's 'R'
solution
doesn't beat mount adapters for Canon/Nikon/Sony dSLR's on that point: What's
the Point In Ever Buying One? Leica will have killed their unit volume to R
buyers before they ever see one if they make the mistake of it not having an
auto stop down function.

peace
R. in Michigan

"There is a joy in taking photographs that will always be there, it is the joy
of looking, of capturing that fraction of a second, it is the photographic
shot,
the intuitive shot..." (Henri Cartier-Bresson)

â??No man hath given his child anything better than good manners.â??
- Prophet Muhammad (570-632)