[LRFlex] Re: Moonlighting

  • From: "Bille Xavier F." <hot_billexf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 08:08:26 +0000

<LOL> Douglas!

I suppose being a maniac of the UV filter... On all the lenses I have!

Should try one day to remove it and see if it's getting any better.

I bought the blue, red, etc filter but used a couple of times only.

You are right , the polarizing filter is probably the best and only add on to have...

---------------------------------
Xavier F. BILLE
Maisons-Alfort - France.

From: "Douglas M. Sharp" <DouglasMSharp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [LRFlex] Re: Moonlighting
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 19:54:32 +0200

Filters Xavier, are those those pieces of glass for black and white photography ?

Seriously though, the only ones I ever use are polarisation filters to make the British sky look mediterranean,
otherwise I don't possess any filters at all.
I have been thinking of getting a half neutral grey for toning down bright skies, Im getting tired of lassoing the sky
with photoshop and reducing the brightness/contrast.
Douglas

Bille Xavier F. schrieb:

Dougles.

I read somewhere that the use of filters for moonlight/night shot could be desastrous as they create a surface for more reflection.

Do you agree with this? Could tell me if you had removed your filters to take those pictures?

I like to take pix when the light is dim but it's rarely good to be displayed. Love you pix to bits.

Cheers.

---------------------------------
Xavier F. BILLE
Maisons-Alfort - France.

From: "Douglas M. Sharp" <DouglasMSharp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 16:07:57 +0200

Thanks Aram,
The exposure was pure trial and error, I did a series on the Wasserkunst
shot, first on automatic, noted the exposure values and bracketed
manually at 1/2 stop increments 2 shots to each side. (Leica R5, 50mm
lens, Kodak Elite 200)
The other one was purely on automatic with weighted average metering -
the contrast in the shot is, more or less, 50/50 black and white, luckily.
Leica R5, 90mm, Kodak Elite 200)
I really like the blues and whites on this Kodak material, close to my
old favourite Agfa Professional RS100.
Douglas

Aram Langhans schrieb:

Nice shots, Douglas. How did you determine your exposure? I've been wanting to do some moon shots after reading an article in an old Outdoor Photographer someone gave me.

Aram

From: "Douglas M. Sharp" <DouglasMSharp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Leica Users Group <lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,MUG <MUGers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, LEG <leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,LeicaReflex <LeicaReflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, LUC <luc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRFlex] Moonlighting
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 11:41:17 +0200

Two shots taken by moonlight.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/New-Old-Pictures/Wasserkunst
The building has water-wheel powered pumps and compressors to work the Great Fountain in the Royal Gardens
at Herrenhausen here in Hannover.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/New-Old-Pictures/Ravenscar
Taken while waiting for the last bus close to Fylingthorpe, near Robin Hoods Bay on the North Yorkshire coast, looking across to Ravenscar,
the town that never was.
A group of investors and entrepreneurs started to build a luxury resort here, they got as far as laying the drains and building roads, built
a colossal hotel, and then ran out of money. They must have been mad anyway, to get to the beach you have to climb down a cliff path
which takes about half an hour, there's no sand when you get there and getting back up again is even worse ( Sherpas are very rare in this
part of the UK) The dim blob at the top right is the Ravenhall Hotel.
Douglas

   www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm

-- Ihre bevorzugten Shops, hilfreiche Einkaufs-Hilfen und großartige Geschenk Ideen. Erleben Sie das Vergnügen online einzukaufen mit Shop@Netscape! http://shopping.netscape.de/shopping/