[LRflex] Re: Meet the 24, a few words of explanation

  • From: "W.B. Abbott" <captbilly3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 15:41:30 -0700

On Aug 31, 2011, at 11:50 PM, Bille Xavier F. wrote:

Xavier,

> Well, usually bus or train are mostly known by their numbers, here, 24 refers
> to the line 24. This line starts from Maisons Alfort (bottom right corner) as
> per the following plan:
>
> http://www.ratp.fr/informer/pdf/orienter/f_plan.php?loc=reseaux&nompdf=bus_paris&fm=gif

Thanks, we use numbered bus lines here too and the map brought back many happy
memories of our being foot loose and wandering around Paris several times.

> In my image of the inside of the bus 24, the front plan, seats and vertical
> handle bars are "normal".

Initially, my interest was drawn to the "Edmond Nocard" sign, which I correctly
guessed was the name of the nest stop. I Googled it got an introduction to
French bacteriology, M. Nocard's veterinarian school (as shown on the bus line
map!) and his close association with Louis Pasteur, whose name was perhaps the
first name of a scientist I ever knew as a child, from our pasteurized (but not
yet homogenized) milk.

> But if you look at the rear plan or if you follow the row of windows on the
> left, you see that the verticals tend to lean on the right.

I do see that and wondered if the bus sides tilt inboard a bit to drain water.
The interior looks familiar, much like the light rail trains in Dublin; perhaps
they were made by the same firm.

> When the eye meets the rear of the driver cabin (left middle), the
> information panel looks really like a pisa tower, leaning to the ... left !

> In details, many verticals and many horizontals are changing through the
> length of the bus as if the structure of the bus twists like a propeller.
>
> It seems that all the verical handle bar have their own desire of redefining
> "verticality"

In Lightroom, I can align the horizontal and vertical of the driver's cab with
the interior handle poles, using the Lens Correction controls.

Now the poles seem to be aligned from front back but the change increases the
tilt of the bus sides. It could it be that is the reality of the bus structure
and that there are lens effects which I am not smart enough to know about. It
was fun trying to see what is happening.

Go to here to see my handiwork

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/wbabbott3/bus_24/

> It's quite weird to me as I have checked the "straightness" with the Silkypix
> developper!
> Please accept my apologies for having been a bit mysterious of that one.

No apologied needed. I appreciate you sharing the image with us and giving me
the opportunity to learn about M. Nocard and his contributions to the welfare
of millions.

And I now have a new objective for rmy next trip to Paris: Ride the #24 bus!

Thanks again and with all best wishes,

Bill