[LRflex] Re: May I scream now?

  • From: "Neil Gould" <neil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 07:40:06 -0500

Hi David,

As others, I am most sorry to hear of this most recent fiasco. It seems
that you have tried every reasonable solution to correct the problem, and
I can't think of anything to add to what others have already suggested. I
do like Ted's approach, if for no other reason than it would be difficult
for Leica to ignore.

I have to say that I have never been all that impressed with Leica's
capability in producing electronics. The problems with early R4s and R8s
were absurd in the day and time in which they occurred. The only saving
grace was Leica's dedication to correcting the problem in those models and
providing a solution at "no cost" (if one disregards the cost of losing
use of their camera for the duration).

Sorry, Leica, but when I purchase a professional-level piece of equipment
at premium pricing, I expect professional service and responsiveness.
Their attention to this matter implies that they regard the DMR as a
trinket of no consequence to the user, and that you can get by without it
for the better part of a year only to wind up where you started. In this
case, Leica can not even argue that you should have had two DMRs if you
were professionally dependent on them, because multiple cameras and
configurations all failed! This type of attitude and failure to perform is
not even worthy of consumer-level products.

Your experience with this non-solution has convinced me of one thing: I
will *not* be buying an R10.

Best regards, and warmest condolences.

Neil