[LRFlex] Re: Martine

  • From: Slobodan Dimitrov <s.dimitrov@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 12:26:02 -0800

I've had, and sometimes still do, the tendency to bias my focus toward infinity with wide angles. I have to remind myself to double check foreground and plane of focus with anything shorter of 28mm.
Plane of focus is critical, and not to be confused with depth of field, with wides.
S. Dimitrov

On Nov 27, 2004, at 12:16 PM, Bille Xavier F. wrote:

Slobodan,

I'd like to show you: You are right!

Focus is past the subject, most probably. Here is a whole image, a bit soft:
http://xavierf.b.free.fr/Temp/Martine02.jpg

Here is a crop, twice the resolution (heavy)
http://xavierf.b.free.fr/Temp/Martine03.jpg

It seems the focus point is somewhere past the lady. The camera was about one meter away, it was put on the table for more stability, the focus of the wall seem oK while the hand is out of focus.

You use the SA21, you know that at F4, the focus is 0.8 to 1.2m but the hand is out of focus.

Wrong use, more to learn, you are just on it.

Probably, the previous pix suffered the same defect, a focus point to far behind. It's more than probable...

Thanks again, I appreciate your help, really.
G'Night.

--------------------------------- Xavier F. BILLE Maisons-Alfort - France.

From: Slobodan Dimitrov <s.dimitrov@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [LRFlex] Re: Martine
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 07:28:47 -0800

I had the same issues about resolution with both the 21 f4 and the 21 f3.4 SA. But, I've seen images from the SA series that made me wonder if it wasn't just me not using them properly. Once the 19mm came out. it just about made the 21 SA irrelevant.
From the looks of it, might as well use a Flextagon.
Not to detract from your efforts, the images are fine otherwise.
S. Dimitrov

On Nov 26, 2004, at 11:46 PM, Bille Xavier F. wrote:

Dear Slobodan.

The resolution is the culprit. This image has been taken with a 400ASA film and scanned at 550dpi.

Usually it is all right but the 19mm codes so much information that the image looks like a 3200 ASA.

Douglas Sharp has shown me the result of some sharpening effect. But number of pixels is a constraint.

Regards.

---------------------------------
Xavier F. BILLE
Maisons-Alfort - France.

From: Slobodan Dimitrov <s.dimitrov@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 18:21:33 -0800

I do have to agree that the images you posted are very soft, resolution wise.
Is there anything you could do to get around that?
Is it a too low shutter speed for handheld? Or an incompatible emulsion/developer combination?
S. Dimitrov

On Nov 25, 2004, at 10:52 PM, Bille Xavier F. wrote:

Hi gang.

The last of the first batch with the SA21.

http://xavierf.b.free.fr/Temp/XX01.jpg

She has been a close friend for the last 10 Years, we met when she was an insurance broker. Today with her husband, she runs a Moto-Auto driving school.

Low resolution and SA21: the lens is nice to make a close portrait of someone in an environment.

Regards.

Slobodan Dimitrov
Photography

   www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm