[LRflex] Re: "Making Kodak Film"

  • From: "George A. Furst" <gfurst01568@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 10:24:48 -0400

Related to this thread, I graduated from the same private high school that the
two inventors of Kodachrome Film, Leopold Godowsky and Leopold Mannes, met and
graduated. Riverdale Country School, located just outside of Manhatten, was not
an ordinary school. It was small with 40 students per class. My classmates
included Chevy Chase of Saturday Night Live fame, Carly Simon who received a
grammy and Ed Randell, the present govenor of Pennsylvania. There is an
excellent article in the July issue of Leica Fotography International about how
they came to meet at Riverdale and eventually invent this revolutionary film.
The school was a strange mix of students from such families as my class mate
who was Zha Zha Gabbor's son and Carly of the Simon and Schuster Publishing
Firm Family. I only was admitted becauwe of my vocal talent, They needed a high
tenor to help with the music program and the admissions director was the head
of the music program. Also my grandmother in Lock Haven, Pa. paid the bills!!