[LRflex] Macro shakes...

  • From: "KEITH LONGMORE" <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 19:03:22 -0000

Hi All
Wow!!!  I started something, didn't I!!

My initial shots were taken in very bright artificial light; exposure about
1/15 up to 1/125.  Then I tried one at minimum aperture, about 1/4 sec.  But
I wasn't using a strong enough tripod.  Things are different now - I hope -
with my recent purchases.

Just for the record, I too am a professional engineer.  I have been working
on the design and development of motor vehicles for the last 33 years, and
previously worked in other industries back to 1962.  I'm well versed in the
principles of vibration, mass and stiffness.

I have a slab of 1/2 inch thick steel plate; maybe I'll drill a hole and
thread it 3/8 inch Whit for my ball head, and also mount the target on it.
We'll see when I have time for another shoot, using the new kit.

Again, for information, I have both a 60 and 100 Macro Elmarit lens, and the
extension tube; but these didn't give the magnification I wanted.  And the
100 with extension tube was even heavier than the bellows, and not so well
balanced!  The tripod bent under its weight.

For those who suggested flash - how many Gigabytes do you suggest? ;-)
Seriously, originally the kit that I have included two Gossen macro lighting
sets, but I had to bring the kit back home from abroad, and I just couldn't
bring them because of the weight and bulk.

David - your problem with Leica: have you thought about threatening them
with Germany's consumer protection laws?  Or getting a German lawyer to send
the letter to them, with his own added comments?  At least they would be
convinced that you mean business!

Thanks all for an entertaining debate!
Keith Longmore