[LRflex] Re: MY first flower

  • From: "Aram Langhans" <leica_r8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 08:10:32 -0800

Hi Alex.  Nice flower.  I think your choice of f-stop was good.  The main
flower is sharp and stand out against the background stems and flowers.
Here are a few suggestions.

I think it is underexposed.  Perhaps the meter saw all that white and said:
"I can make that 18% gray" as meters always do, and underexposed by about a
stop.  Try it again with a +1 exposure.
I would also try a different background.  One more natural if possible. I
know some people like to make the shots look studio with a uniform
background, but I prefer a natural looking background.  Just my preference,
maybe not yours.  The color, for me, does not compliment the flower, even
though it matches the central part of the flower.  Maybe I would like it
better if it were brighter.  Maybe using the +1 would brighten it up so it
is not so, well, dark and gloomy.  Maybe some light reflected on the
background and not the flower would do the trick, too.  The flower is
festive and should not be lost in a gloomy background.

Remove the leaves at the upper left from view when you retake it.  They are
too small to add anything and just protrude into the frame as an annoyance
rather than a compositional element.  That's not to say that something in
that area would not be good, just maybe more of it so it has context rather
than the way it looks now.

And, not knowing what is there, I would say raise the camera just a touch to
get the complete flower.  Looks like the top few mm's are gone.  Of course,
if that would capture something ugly that could not be removed, then leave
it as is.

Now, grab that camera and lens and have at it again.  My father-in-law has
the D300 (not s) and I think it is a great camera.  Takes amazing photos and
his high ISO photos are far superior to my Rebel XTi.  His 1600 looks like
my 400.  The angenieux has great smoothness in the background.

I look forward to another attempt.

Aram