[LRflex] Re: M8 firmware

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 07:33:56 -0800

At 30/10/2006, you wrote:

>In Michael Reichmann's review of the new M8 at lumiuous-
>landscape.com, there is an encouraging tidbit.
>
>In his Figure 10, which deals with Meta Data, the software version is
>shown as 1.06. That means to me that someone has already tweaked the
>original 1.0 release six times to get it to function properly against
>the basic original design intentions. Somebody, somewhere is paying
>close attention to software, a very good sign.
>
>As ever,
>
>Bill

G'Mornin' Bill!

Interesting...  The pre-production unit I had back in early September
had firmware v0.23.  The one I used in Germany, at the Leica Akademie
had v1.04, though several of the chaps had units with v1.0 installed.
So, there have been a lot more changes than just six!  And, there
will be more.

One of the areas where ACM and Leica are determined to get ahead of
the competition is in the software.  Leica have always made better
lenses, which offered the user better detail and consistent colour
through out the range.  In a digi-cam, this is something which can be
tweaked, to a large extent, by not using the low-pass filter (for
detail) and superior software to achieve the colour renditions
consistent with other Leicas.   That is why they now have their own
firmware in all their  Matsushita (Panasonic) made point & pray models.

The firmware for the DMR is done, I believe, by Imacon.  If not, it
is done by a third party. No matter, for Leica are still having the
software improved there, too.  V1.3 is currently in field testing and
is expected to be released before Christmas.

I know that Leica have planned an initial release of some 2,500 M8's,
which are being made at the rate of 50 a day or so (they're still
refining the production process... it should be a bit better,
later).  When I was there, we saw cases of them,  all tested and
ready to go... except for the firmware.   When Leica are happy with
the firmware,  the cameras will be  quickly "loaded", packed and
shipped.    Of course, like the DMR, the firmware will be an ongoing process.

I think what I like about Leica, is they are not just fixing 'bugs'
with their software updates, but are also improving image quality
with each new version.