[LRflex] M8 135mm puzzle

  • From: "Dr. Jeffrey L. T. von Glück" <jgluckphoto66@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 17:32:17 -0400

> Subject: [LRflex] Re: M8 135 puzzle From: Richard Ward
> <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxxxx> Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 11:42:40 -0400 On
> Jun 11, 2012, at 11:00 AM, "Dr. Jeffrey L. T. von

>>> over 25 years. Never been disappointed with the results, but haven't
>>> used it on any digital bodies, just film. (See my article in the vol.
>>> 45, No. 1, 2012, LHSA Viewfinder.) Much lighter than the "goggles"
>>> version if you can live with f/4.
>>>
>>> Good luck!
>>>
>>> Jeff Gluck
>>

>Thanks for the info Jeff.
> I am starting to really like that lens as an option. Query: Do you use a
> viewfinder magnifier with your Tele-Elmar? I've gotten 'ok' with focusing my
> 90 Elmarit accurately when it's wide open, but it's been challenging.
>
>What is your opinion of the Goggles 135? Before going with the tele-elmar I am
>giving the alternatives a hard look.
>
>Sincerely
>Richard in Michigan

Richard,

I haven't had to use a magnifier as most of my shots have been at
infinity, but I do have the 1.25X magnifier in my bag, just in case.

I traded away my 135/2.8 Elmarit with optical viewing unit decades ago.
First, it was just too heavy, and second, the goggles gave too much of a
tunnel vision view. You cannot see too much outside the framelines,
whereas you can without the goggles using the camera's 135mm framelines.
My M7 has a .58 viewfinder, so on that body I must use a shoe-mounted
brightline viewfinder as the camera lacks the 135mm framelines, but
that's not a concern with the other M bodies that have the 135mm lines.

If you want to see how the 135/2.8 feels, borrow it from someone or
check it out on your camera at a shop.

Jeff Gluck