[LRflex] M4/3rds for M lenses

  • From: H&ECummer <cummer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 14:13:15 +0800

I commented on this on the LUG on August 8.
If you look at the specs for the Micro 4/3rds system in the dpreview article M lenses would easily fit on the camera via an adaptor ( upon which I am sure some Chinese entrepreneur is already diligently working in his Shanghai garage). With live view you would have no parallax framing problems and could view 100% of the image. I know, I know, this is no substitute for the traditional rangefinder viewfinder but it could prove useful and entertaining to use. And if the micro body were, say, US$1000, it could satisfy the desire for a digital CLE without cannibalizing M8 sales (too much - maybe - since the cheap camera won't have the traditional rangefinder viewfinder). The numbers - 4/3rd Micro flange back distance - 20mm (M flange back distance 27.95mm - lots of room for an adaptor). 4/3rd Micro Lens mount diameter 44mm (M mount 40mm - again lots of room to fit in any M lens. In my opinion the deal breaker will be how good the EV viewfinder is. That was a very bad part of the original Panasonic LC1 / Leica Digilux 2 which was otherwise a very capable and easy to use camera (in good light). Food for thought - isn't it?
Howard

I expect there will be a big demand for the 12mm and 15mm CV lenses - but if you are long lens inclined think how magnificent your 135mm will be as a 270!
Cheers
Howard

From: "Aram Langhans" <leica_r8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRflex] Re: Digital M4/3 Olympus for M lenses
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 07:10:40 -0700

But most M users already lament the 1.3 crop factor turning their wides into not so wide. They have adjusted to that one, but imagine what they will be
saying about a 2x crop factor?

Aram