[LRflex] Lumix L 1 - Leica D 3 - Oly 330E (Using R lenses)

  • From: Howard Cummer <cummer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 18:07:49 +0800

Hello Listers,
I have both the Lumix L 1 (bought the kit in order to get the Leica D
Vario-Elmarit 14 - 50 zoom lens) and the Olympus 330E. I use Leica R
lenses on both 4/3rds bodies using a R > 4/3rd adapter that is
available locally and costs HK$600 (US$77), If you want to see what
it looks like please go to Gary Todoroff's Lympa log at <http://
www.northcoastphotos.com/Lympa.htm>.
Previously I was using a Canon 5D with a microprism / rangefinder
Brightscreen and frustrated with the number of focusing misses I
experienced - especially using wide angle lenses (the R 28 Elmarit is
one of my favourites and MUCH better in the corners than any Canon
wide that I have tried).

After reading Gary's log, I went to Shogun Camera in Tsim ShaTsui
(Kowloon side) - bought the R > 4/3rds adapter and took a bag of R
lenses to the nearby Olympus show room where I spent a pleasant
afternoon with a helpful, pretty young sales lady trying R lenses on
various Olympus 4/3rds bodies and ended up buying a 330E. I bought it
because the "live view" feature, combined with a 10X magnification of
the screen let me nail the focus on my R lenses much more frequently
than with the Canon 5D. This was before the L 1 was available.

The L 1 works in the same way (live view B mode) and has the added
advantage of letting you choose 4 X magnification or 10X - Olympus
only has 10X and sometimes (especially with long lenses like my
180APO) on the Oly a tripod is really needed to get a steady enough
image that one can focus. Of course, the mirror, which is up in B
mode, in both cameras needs to come down and up again to measure, set
and take the exposure so the set up isn't quick enough to catch a
fast fleeting decisive moment. Still, it feels good to be able to
focus R lenses on a digital platform with a higher degree of accuracy
than I was getting before.

Between the L 1 and the Oly 330E, I prefer the latter because it has
a Live View A mode (from an extra sensor in the viewfinder) which you
can use with the mirror down and which permits auto focusing if you
are using a lens with that feature. This is faster then mirror up B
mode and in consequence more suitable for catching decisive moments.
The Oly 330E also has the moveable LCD on the back which lets you use
the camera like an old TLR (I still have a Rolleiwide in my dry box
and put one roll a year through it) and that is a feature which I
really, really like (as the Spice Girls once sang).

One attractive feature in the Oly 330E is that as you close down the
lens the LCD brightens so you don't have to focus at maximum aperture
and then close down to take the shot.  With the L 1 - the LCD darkens
more than the Oly does as you close down the lens.

The ergonomics of each camera is different - I prefer the menu
screens on the L 1 - but don't like that your settings(unless saved
in a Custom setting and in use when you change lenses) default to
factory settings when you install a lens without an aperture ring.
This doesn't happen on the Oly when you install the Leica D Vario.
There are other incompatibilities as well. Using the Olympus E 1
extender on the Oly 330E with the Leica Vario zoom is intermittent -
sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. With the L 1 and the E 1
extender there is a firmware upgrade available which I have installed
but not yet tested which is supposed to solve compatibility problems.

I have a replacement Sigma 30mm f1.4 on order (the first sample back
focussed on both camera bodies) to increase low light capabilities
and I am looking forward to the 25mm Leica summilux which I saw at
Photokina, under glass at the Olympus booth, but without any price
information (ask Leica they said - that means it will be expensive!).
Leica have said they will also issue a 14 - 150 f3.5-5.6 "universal
zoom" in 2007 followed by a 50 - 150 f3.5 - 5.6 telephoto zoom and
then a 45 f2.0 macro lens (I have the Oly 50 f2.0 macro and it is
superb). All the Leica zooms will have image stabilization (which the
14 - 50 vario has) and which no Oly lenses have - another reason
perhaps to go with Leica. These 4/3rds Leica lenses are designed by
Leica and quality controlled by Leica but made in the Panasonic
factory in Japan (even though my 14 - 50 Vario doesn't say made in
Japan anywhere).

Sorry to ramble on at such length but once started it seemed I should
just include all my 4/3rd experience rather than just answering the
question about the adapter.

Howard (in Hong Kong)