[LRflex] Re: Loony- Esmeralda

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 09:44:46 -0700

Philippe wrote:

>Sorry for this accident - hope it doesn't hurt too much - also hope
>you'll retrieve use of these fingers very soon - hard luck indeed it is.
>No harm done to the camera I hope.
>
>Esmeralda is no new woman in my life - she is a character in "Notre de
>Dame de Paris" a book by Victor Hugo (photographs by Nadar I guess
>somewhere on the web) a poet, politician and novelist of the 19th century.
>Notre Dame de Paris is then also a monument of French literature and
>tells the story of a tender hearted kind of loony with a hump who lives
>in the belfry of Notre Dame - deaf of course because of the bells.
>  The poor chap is madly attached to a beauty named Esmeralda. I thought
>she was nearly as famous as Scarlett as many movies have been based on
>the story, one of which stars Gerard Depardiou as Quasimodo (the
>"monster/loony " =>  here, me  :-( ).

Surprisingly, I know the story of Hugo's "Notre Dame de Paris", as, I
think, many Canadians do. (I read an English translation, in high school.)

I had assumed that Esmeralda was Alice ... but I couldn't resist asking. ;-)

As for the camera ... it was in a waterproof, floating, Pelican case,
securely locked and still on the boat.

As for the fingers ... don't be sorry for my accident ... it was my
own stupidity.... nothing more.   The pain of the sprains has almost
gone ... but the cracked/broken bone will take a while to heal.  As
Rose would say ... "It's a long way from my heart".