[LRflex] Re: Long-eared Owl (Asio otis)

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 07:35:04 -0800

Douglas Herr wrote:

>This one needs a few disclaimers.  Maneuvering an 800mm lens and hefty
>tripod through a dense patch of woods is no picnic, especially when the
>subject is doing its best to keep a significant screen of branches between
>itself and the hairy two-legged creature.  Technically...  let's just say I
>won't be manking any big prints of this photo.
>
>Without further ado, my Long-eared Owl photo:
>
>http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/strigidae/leow01.html
>
>Hardware, etc: Leicaflex SL2, 560mm f/6.8 Telyt, 1.4x APO-Extender-R, Provia
>400F film.  Exposure was probably 1/15 sec with mirror pre-release.
>
>Doug Herr
>Birdman of Sacramento
>http://www.wildlightphoto.com

G'mornin' Doug!

Why is it that my best shots never look as good as your 'rejects'?

An absolutely stunning shot!

I can identify with your comment about lugging an 800mm through the
dense bush. Recently, in Grande Prairie, Alberta, I got a report of some
moose in a nearby woods. Off I went, 400 f6.8 Telyt and 2x mounted,
through 16" snow at about -15C. Brrrr! The woods were so thick that even
a really bad shot was impossible. By the time I got close enough to them
to have a semi-clear shot, I was so close that I had a choice of the
left eye or the right nostril! Like an idiot, I'd rushed out, when I got
the word, and took only the one lens. Came back with nothing except a
really cold nose! ;-)

Still, as super shot and a really neat owl!

Logan Lake, BC
CANADA.

Personal Web-site at: http://www3.telus.net/~telyt
Leica Reflex Forum web-page: http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/lrflex.htm