[LRflex] Live View Oly, Digi 3 and Lumix L1

  • From: Howard Cummer <cummer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 09:03:55 +0800
On 4 May 2007, at 2:13 PM, FreeLists Mailing List Manager wrote:

> Howard Cummer wrote:
>>
>> The Oly 330 E has two live view modes - one of which allows autofocus
>> if you have an autofocus lens mounted (the A mode) and then the B
>> mode (which is manual focus only with mirror up) which is what is
>> available on the L1 and Digilux 3.
>
> Hi Howard,
>
> I don't really understand the difference between modes A & B, in
> term of
> practical use.
>
> The L1 offers either liveview OR VF, be the lense manual or autofocus.
> Of course, the mirror is "up" when using LV but I don't find it an
> impediment at all as the screen replaces the VF then.
> Since you own both cameras,  could you tell us more about it?

Hi Philippe,
The difference is that with the L1 and Digilux 3 when in live view
mode the mirror is up and in order to achieve auto focus and correct
exposure the mirror must flap down, the camera confirms focus and
exposure, the mirror flaps up and the picture is taken. Shutter lag
is, of necessity, long. With the Olympus 330E in A mode - the mirror
is down and another small CCD in  the view finder projects the image
on to the rear LCD.  Taking a picture is just like taking a picture
in "normal" mode through the view finder - there is no mirror down
and up like in the live mode of the L1 / Digilux 3. The "B'" mode of
the Olympus has the mirror up and live view on and is confined to
manual focus which is what I tried to explain in my previous message.
In practical use it means the Oly has less shutter lag and is faster
to use in live view A mode than the L1 / Digi 3.  Sorry if the
earlier explanation was inarticulate and not clear.

> Thanks in anticipation.
> Phil...x
>
> PS: thanks for the news on the Summilux and more goodies to come.

The 25mm Summilux is the equivalent price of about US$1000.00

> Do you
> have any idea of the price tag and the delay for the 50-150?

Sorry I don't have any info on pricing or arrival date.

> I'd be
> curious to know before I turn to Oly for lighter zooms than my beloved
> Angies.

For my two cents I would try and wait for the Pana Leica zooms. They
will all have aperture rings which the Olys don't have.

Cheers
Howard
(in Hong Kong)