[LRflex] Re: Live View Oly 330E, Digilux 3 and Lumix L1

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 09:05:03 -0700

At 03/05/2007, you wrote:
>On 3 May 2007, at 2:17 PM, FreeLists Mailing List Manager wrote:
>
> > Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 17:55:45 +0200
> > From: Philippe Amard <phamard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > Subject: [LRflex] Re: digital
> >
> > Neil Gould wrote:
> >
> >> If you want "live view", that will limit your choice to one of the
> >> Olympus models.
> >>

> > Or the Digilux 3 and its cousin - Olies offer a pivoting screen but
> > the
> > three of them share the liveview feature.
>
>The Oly 330 E has two live view modes - one of which allows autofocus
>if you have an autofocus lens mounted (the A mode) and then the B
>mode (which is manual focus only with mirror up) which is what is
>available on the L1 and Digilux 3. On the latter two cameras you can
>magnify the image by either 4X or 10X to assist focusing accuracy -
>on the Oly you only get 10X magnification (which is hard to hand hold
>with long telephotos lens - you really are getting into tripod
>territory).

Hi Howard!

The one advantage of the L1 & Digilux 3 is that they do not siphon
light off from the finder, to a second sensor, for the 'A'
mode.  Thus, I believe that the finders in the PanaLeica and Leica
models should be a bit bright or visually larger in the L1 & D3. (As
you have both, can you confirm/deny this?  Tnx.)

As many of you know, I am considering my options for a backup to my
DMR.  And, I think I've decided.

The coming 40D by Canon has spot metering (a must, for me), 10mpx and
"live view".   I've already ordered an adapter, with focus confirmation.

The 4/3rds system has a lot going for it, as the photos by you,
Xavier and Philippe attest. The 4/3rds cameras are obviously capable
of some very fine results. The 10mp of the (coming) Oly 510 is great,
and the in-camera image stabilization would be a HUGE bonus for the
ol' Telyt 400!  (Not to mention the extra 'reach" gained from the
smaller sensor!)

However, I find the OLY finder to be very dim and distant.  I believe
this is because they siphon off so much light, from the finder, for
the second, A-mode, live view, sensor, that if they were to make the
image larger (to the eye), it would be dimmer still (light falls off
with the square of the distance, etc.).  Thus, while the smaller,
visually distant image may be fine for framing, I think it not so
good for manually focusing slow (the 400 Telyt + 2x = f13.6 wide open!) lenses.

The Live View makes it very nice for [a] waist level work and [b]
macro & other tripod work.  But it is not an option, for wildlife
work, using the 400 Telyt & 2x with monopod and shoulder stock.

The brighter finder does it, for me, and the and focus confirmation
is a nicety I'm sure I can learn to live with!  I just hope that the
40D has "B" mode live view, only, similar to the L1 & D3, thus
preserving that brighter finder.

Now, the decision becomes ... do I buy Rose a Pentax 10d, for use
with her existing Pentax AF lenses?  Or do I buy her an Oly, so that
(with an adapter) it can be a backup to the backup?  Decisions, decisions.....

Cheers!

PS:  (Which most people think stands for "Post Script", but really
stands for "Parting Shot"!)

I want to thank all who have contributed to this discussion... it
makes for good reading, and it made my decision making a wee bit
easier, after seeing everyone's differing opinions.  Many thanks!