[LRflex] Live View Oly 330E, Digilux 3 and Lumix L1

  • From: Howard Cummer <cummer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 21:07:50 +0800
On 3 May 2007, at 2:17 PM, FreeLists Mailing List Manager wrote:

> Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 17:55:45 +0200
> From: Philippe Amard <phamard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [LRflex] Re: digital
>
> Neil Gould wrote:
>
>> If you want "live view", that will limit your choice to one of the
>> Olympus models.
>>

> Or the Digilux 3 and its cousin - Olies offer a pivoting screen but
> the
> three of them share the liveview feature.

The Oly 330 E has two live view modes - one of which allows autofocus
if you have an autofocus lens mounted (the A mode) and then the B
mode (which is manual focus only with mirror up) which is what is
available on the L1 and Digilux 3. On the latter two cameras you can
magnify the image by either 4X or 10X to assist focusing accuracy -
on the Oly you only get 10X magnification (which is hard to hand hold
with long telephotos lens - you really are getting into tripod
territory). For my old tri-focal assisted eyes - I get better
focusing with live view and the magnification than I did with my
Canon 5D (with a special Bright screen installed). But, that was
before the focus confirmation adapter was available for R > EOS. I
had more trouble getting good focus with wide angle lenses than
telephoto ones (my 28 R was much sharper in the corners than my Canon
24 - at the same aperture - when I could hit focus with the 28) and
my Canon 50 f1.4 was so soft wide open that I sent it back to Canon
for checking. My 50 Summicron was much sharper than the Canon at
f2.0.  Sorry to run on about this but that is my experience. I sold
the Canon and went with the Oly 330E in order to be able to continue
to exercise my R lenses. Since many will have eyes better than mine
your mileage may, of course, vary. :-)
Cheers
Howard (in HK)