[LRFlex] Re: Lens hood for Leitz 90mm f2.8 R

  • From: Doug Herr <telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 05:35:11 -0700

on 6/15/04 3:07 AM, Edu at edu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a lens hood and series 7 filter retaining ring for a  Leitz
> 90mm f2.8 R lens (first version, serial # 217xxxx). This lens has a built-in
> sliding hood, which I believe is held in place by the filter ring which screws
> onto the barrel's male thread (51mm). I'm actually not too bothered about the
> hood, the most importante thing would be to have a filter in place to protect
> the front element. Does the filter  require the hood to secure it in place (as
> in the 28mm f2.8 R first version lens), or is it the other way around? I would
> be grateful for any information and advice on this.
>
> Eduardo Pacheco

I think I understand the problem better now.  It sounds like your lens is
missing the retaining ring that has the filter threads and also keeps the
hood from coming off.  I suspect there were two versions of this retaining
ring, one with E54 threads for Series VII filters and a later version with
E55 filter threads.  If you find a source for the retaining ring try to get
the E55 version.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com